Worried about the smell coming out of your running shoes? Read on to fix it...
Do you know that your sports and running shoes smell not only because of the sweat, but they are also a breeding ground for bacteria?
The odour is a result of the chemical process by which bacteria on the skin break down the acid in your sweat. The sweat glands in the armpit vary from those on your feet, but the process of breaking down acids is the same, and hence, it results in the odour.
In this article, we will be discussing a few important tips that will help you fight this odour from your sports shoes.
Common issues faced by smelly running shoes
Smelly shoes can be frustrating and embarrassing for you to wear. Some common problems faced by smelly shoes are as follows:
- Unpleasant odour: the smell coming out of your shoes may cause you social discomfort, as you may not feel comfortable wearing them in public places.
- Growth of bacteria: Smelly shoes can also cause increased growth of bacteria. This can cause infections and odour in the feet as well.
- Reduction in life span: The smell in the shoes is an indication that the shoes are not being taken care of properly. After a period, this can also lead to faster deterioration of the shoes and hence shorten their life span.
- Health concerns: bacteria breeding in the shoe may complicate your health. This may result in toenail fungus or athlete’s foot. These conditions are difficult to treat and may become more complicated later.
- Social discomfort: Smelly running and sports shoes can cause embarrassment for the user in public. While in the gym or running clubs, this embarrassment can result in an overall increase in anxiety and embarrassment for many people.
Overall, stinky running shoes will be frustrating and can cause potentially harmful problems. It is very important to follow the steps to remove the odour and prevent bacteria growth in your shoes for your health and social comfort.
5 Tips to Fix the Smell of Running Shoes
Running is a very good way to stay healthy and lose weight. But you might get demotivated by the unbearable smell that comes out of your shoes. Especially in hot and humid weather, the sweat and bacteria coming out of the shoes can leave a very bad smell. We will list some tips that can help you fix this problem:
- Air it off: Once you come back from a long run, remove the shoes, and let them air out in a ventilated area. This will be useful in drying out the moisture from the shoes. This will result in a reduction of the odour-causing bacteria.
- Baking soda can be your friend. The next help you will get is from the baking soda available in your kitchen. Sprinkle some baking soda inside your shoes and let them rest overnight. The baking soda acts like a natural deodorant for your shoes, and it will help remove the odour from them.
- Take help from your tea bags: The tea bags can be your next partner when it comes to removing odours from your shoes. Placing a few unused tea bags in the shoes and leaving them overnight can help restore the freshness in your shoes. They will gain breathability and really smell good.
- White vinegar: Next, you can try mixing equal parts of white vinegar and water and using a clean cloth to wipe up your shoes inside out. This is a good agent that can help in killing the bacteria inside the shoes and hence reduce the smell from the shoes.
- Use of odour-removing products: Certain odour-elimination products are available on the market. You can use them and follow the instructions mentioned on them. Apply them on the inside of the shoes. When the shoes have completely dried, they will be free of odours and can be worn again without issue.
Therefore, the odour from the running shoes cannot be avoided, but it can be easily fixed. By following the techniques mentioned above, you can easily get the smell removed from your shoes and make them smell fresh. You can enjoy running without having to worry about the smell coming out of the shoes due to sweat and bacteria.
You can always buy the best quality sports shoes from JQR Sports. We believe in quality, and hence we manufacture shoes that provide breathability for your feet. Hence, the chances of a smell coming from your shoes are minimal. Simply check our website for the latest available options in the sports shoe category.